Sunday, October 19, 2008

Podcasts

I just watched two podcasts, "The Edible Schoolyard", which is about an outdoor classroom at Martin Luther King Junior Middle School in Berkeley, CA. The students spend the first period outside planting and eating organic foods they have grown. Then they get to cook what they have grown. This teaches them Math, Science and other skills.

The next podcast was "A Night in the Global Village", in Perryville, AR. This is a Global Gateway program which helps the students walk in someone elses shoes. It also raises awareness about the living conditions and hunger that many in other countries go through. It also helps kids see how other live and appreciate what they have.

I think kids learn so much more working "Hands on" like they did in "The Edible Schoolyard." It makes it fun and enjoyable instead of sitting in a classroom all day.

I really enjoyed both of these podcasts and I learned alot from both of them. I think it would be so much fun to actually work outside in a garden to help my students learn as much as these students did.

No comments: